Tips on what to do after a fire in your Mooresville home
What to Do After a Home Fire
Recovering from a fire can be a physically and mentally draining process.
When fire strikes, lives are suddenly turned around. Often, the hardest part is knowing where to begin and who to contact.
Contact your insurance company or agent right away.
Ask your agent:
- What to do about the immediate needs of your home. This includes pumping out water and covering doors, windows, and other openings.
- What you should do first. Some companies may ask you to make a list of everything that was damaged by the fire. They will ask you to describe these in detail and say how much you paid for the items.
Entering the home after the fire:
- Do not enter a damaged home or apartment unless the fire department says it is safe to go in!
- Fires can start again even if they appear to be out.
- Soot and dirty water left behind may contain things that could make you sick. Do not eat, drink, or breathe in anything that has been near the fire’s flames, smoke, soot, or water used to put the fire out.
SERVPRO technicians are experts in cleaning and/or restoring your personal items.