Protect your property
Cold Weather can wreak havoc and cause costly damage to your home or business if you are not properly prepared. Whether it is heavy rain, freezing temperatures, damages winds, sleet or snow, all can cause serious property damage. While you cannot control the weather, you can take steps to be prepared, and help take the sting out of winter weather. To help prevent weather-related damages, consider taking the following precautions before winter weather hits.
- Check your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rain, and snow can cause branches to fall and can cause damage to property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Roofs, water pipes and gutters should all be inspected to ensure they are in proper order.
- Clean chimneys and exhaust systems to ensure they are free of debris.
- Test gas lines if they have been dormant to ensure they are in good working order with no leaks.
- Inspect your property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Protect pipes from freezing by allowing water to drip when tempuratures dip below freezing. If the pipes are under a cabinet, leave the cabinet doors open allowing warm inside air to circulate. Insulate all exterior pipes.
- If the building has outdoor faucets, consider shutting water off at the main valve in the basement or crawl space. Once the valve is off, open the outdoor faucet to ensure it drains.
- Make sure all exterior doors, garages, roll-ups and windows have sufficient weather stripping.
SERVPRO is available 24 hours a day 7 day a week for your emergency water and fire damage cleanup needs.